Saturday afternoon was gorgeous because the sun was shining and the air was cool. Scout and I had lunch with Aunt Dianne, and after we returned Scout thought the two of us should take a walk. I thought both of us should take a nap, but what harm could a short walk do, right?
We strolled down the sidewalk, joined by Emmitt Merle, enjoying the nice day and singing a corny song. Then, Scout wanted to cross the street. I reminded her about our rules: look for cars and hold hands. Well, Scout felt like testing boundaries. She didn't want to hold my hand. After we looked for cars about the eighth time and she kept dodging my hand, I finally just grabbed her hand and went for the cross. We got about 3/4 across the street, and she forced a hand release. I stepped to the curb and said, "c'mon Scout." She put a smile on her face and refused. So, I just jogged after her and picked her up. Then, HELLO BACK SPASM - LOWER BACK PAIN - OPERATION LOCK UP.
I immediately cussed, grabbed by back, and set Scout back down. Then, I did a lot of cajoling from the curb for her to come home. She thought it was all a game. Even Emmitt listened better. I was sort of panicking because Scott wasn't home; I didn't have a cell; and what if I couldn't get her in the house?
So, Scout just stayed in the street while I hobbled around pleading with her to come to the sidewalk. Finally, a car started coming down the street, so I yelled, "SCOUT A CAR IS COMING! GET OVER HERE!" Then, she made a mad dash for the sidewalk. As I limped towards her, a neighbor lady was giving us the "look" but I was in too much pain to even explain. I lured Scout into staying still until I got close to her. Once I was near I grabbed her shirt. I wasn't going to let go again until we were seven houses back down and inside our front door. I pretty much dragged (while instructing her to "walk") her by the back of the shirt; it rolled up under her armpits and made like she was an over night bag.
After we made it home, I was so relieved that I had safely gotten her inside the house I negotiated in my mind to allow her to do anything inside. I made it to the bed and ended up laying there for 24 hours. Scott came home about an hour after the incident and took care of us the rest of the weekend. I'm finally in fair shape today. I'll be hitting the chiropractor at lunch.
7 comments:
I bet that pain came on from the stretching, bending and other contortions you performed to get Scout's car seat in my car... I'm so sorry... we'll take yours with car seat intact next time.
dang! did you see donnelly today? I hope you are feeling better!
omg, scary!! and, yuck on the back! hope you are feeling better.. and take it easy! when is the "big day"?
Oh man. You are super mom. Way to get the kid back in the house safely! Hope you're feeling better.
Great time for the ole back to seize up...that sucks. Hope you are feeling better.
I am a horrible friend...I laugh at all your posts. I laughed at your misery. It will come back around to me, don't worry. It's just that I can see every detail unfolding and well, you and Scout are a match for each other. I am glad that she finally listened and you are feeling better. I can't imagine being in the middle of the road and you have fallen and can't get up. Okay, sorry.
It is ok to laugh at my misery. That's the point right?
Post a Comment